For the next two weeks, Mom and my sister were off at camp… which meant that we had only three people in the house. I was cook part-time, and housekeeper, and student.
- Reading a biology book cover to cover is fun. In an effort to implement what I was reading in How to Read a Book, I read my biology textbook cover to cover. I can’t really remember much… but I know that there’s a lot of carbohydrates and fats, and of course Mendelian genetics I’ve known since I was twelve. I’ll be going through it again, this time with a fine tooth comb, but I found out that getting the high-level stuff is quite enjoyable.
- Blisters are not that bad. I was walking on the treadmill barefoot, because I don’t like my shoes most of the time, and if I have to get shoes on, I’m never going to walk. Hence, a couple of blisters, because I was walking faster than I probably should have.
- Your father and brother will not remember where the bread knife goes. It has a little spot to the right of the bread’s cutting board. It’s made specifically for the bread knife. But aforementioned father and brother believe the counter is the best spot for it.
- Movies are awesome. I’d forgotten how awesome. On the 2nd and 3rd I watched about 6 movies off of Netflix.
- Days pass really really quickly. Two weeks disappeared in the blink of an eye. I’m not sure what I got done and what I didn’t. (But then again, I can’t really remember what I did today, let alone a week ago).
- I am a minimalist. I may have stated this before, this minimalism thing. It really came home while I was dusting and I realized that the one reason I wanted Mom back was so we could go through everything in the house and throw out what we no longer needed or used.
- Reading was easier when I was little. I drew this conclusion because I think I was slightly more disciplined when I was younger. Back then I didn’t know what romance novels were, and thus couldn’t get sidetracked. Also, back then, online lending libraries didn’t really exist.
- No one really knows how to boil pasta in this house. I made my brother boil pasta. About two minutes into the process, I realized the water was supposed to be boiling BEFORE the pasta was put in. We had slightly brown smoky spaghetti for lunch.
- Cleaning a big house sucks. I’m not sure which part I disliked most… probably the fact that I kept taking breaks every hour or so… and moving really slowly. It turns out if you don’t have much to look forward to that day, everything takes ten times longer than it would if you were anticipating, say… someone coming over at 4pm. Everything moves faster the hour before the guests come.
- I’m probably a good candidate for hermitude. The house suddenly seemed very small with two more people in it.
On Friday I’ll put up a great deal of updates. I’m not sure what they’re about yet.